The third round of the inaugural season of the Italian GT12 Series 2018 took place in Bolzano. With the weather forecasting showers on the Sunday afternoon, the timetable was slightly adjusted with the shortening of time gaps between rounds. Having reached the halfway mark of the Series, the third round confirmed how close and competitive racing is in the GT12 class: Alessandro Rampini (Treerremodellismo) was the deserving winner of Round 3 (and the third different winner in as many races) bringing the battle at the top of the overall ranking of the Italian GT12 Series 2018 very tight and intense.
The three Qualification rounds held during the morning saw Roberto Rampini (Treerremodellismo) setting the pace with massive consistency and speed which was ultimately worth the TQ spot for the afternoon’s finals. Locking the first row for the A-mains, Alessandro Rampini, after having struggled with the setup of his car during the early stages of the qualification rounds, regained competitiveness just in time to secure a spot next to his brother.
The A-mains in the afternoon delivered, as usual, some very close racing, but it was Alessandro taking the control in both A1 and A2 after a clean overtaking maneuver on his brother and, after that, a faultless drive to the tone. With A3 cancelled due to rain and both Roberto Rampini and Alessandro Giubbilei (Jokerteam) sharing the same points, second place was decided by the best time registered in A1 and A2 and it was Roberto who climbed on the second step of the podium for just 15/hundreds of a second.
The Series will next move to Rivoli Veronese (outdoor – asphalt) for Round 4 on June 10th, 2018.
Round 3 Results (Top 3):
- Alessandro Rampini (Treerremodellismo) – Schumacher Atom CC
- Roberto Rampini (Treerremodellismo) – Schumacher Atom CC
- Alessandro Giubbilei (Jokerteam) – Schumacher Atom CC
Overall standings (Top 10) after 3 of 6 rounds (best 4 scores count):
- Alessandro Rampini (Treerremodellismo) – 446 points
- Roberto Rampini (Treerremodellismo) – 441 points
- Alessandro Giubbilei (Jokerteam – Bolzano) – 437 points
- Mattia Dall’Oca (Team Schumacher) – 299 points
- Lorenzo Sandonini (Treerremodellismo) – 290 points
- Lorenzo Crepaldi (Jokerteam – Bolzano) – 290 points
- Claudio Giovanelli (Jokerteam – Bolzano) – 290 points
- Johnny Orsolin (Jokerteam – Bolzano) – 289 points
- Fabrizio Dall’Oca (Jokerteam – Bolzano) – 286 points
- Federico Alberti (ASD Rivoli Racing) – 284 points