The 2018 edition, now in its 13th year, of the Jokerteam Championship kicked off on April 15th on the traditional outdoor tarmac track of the Italian club with GT12 once again being the class of choice. With the mission of being at the forefront of the development of GT12 in Italy, Jokerteam decided this year to introduce the use of control tyres for all participants with the aim to keep costs in check and attract new entrants to the class, while facilitating close and competitive racing. Admittedly a choice from the Italian club that left many wondering about the drivability of such tires on an outdoor tarmac track. Such doubts were nevertheless quickly dismissed as the qualification rounds took off on a properly treated (sugar) track that provided a good level of grip.
The three Qualification rounds held during the morning saw Team Schumacher’s Mattia Dall’Oca setting the pace and dominating with the usual consistency and speed which was ultimately worth the Pole Position. Locking the first row for the A-mains, Roberto Rampini clinched P2 thanks mainly to a faultless drive in Q1, while Alessandro Rampini was a very close third. The action packed A-mains delivered some very close racing, not only at the top of the ranking, but for lower spots as well. Uncommon mistakes and a far from perfect marshalling saw Mattia slip down the order in A1 and finish only 6th, while Alessandro Rampini, starting from third confirmed its ability to drive with a consistent pace and, above all, to stay out of trouble to gain the lead of the race and keep it until the end. In A2 and A3 though, Mattia quickly regained its composure and drove perfect runs from tone to tone, thus sealing the win for the first round of the Championship ahead of Alessandro Rampini (Treerremodellismo) and Alessandro Giubbilei (Jokerteam Bolzano).
Coming up next, Round 2 on May 13th which will coincide with a round of the popular Italian GT12 Series.
Round 1 Results (Top 3):
- Mattia Dall’Oca (Team Schumacher) – Schumacher Atom CC
- Alessandro Rampini (Treerremodellismo) – Schumacher Atom CC
- Alessandro Giubbilei (Jokerteam – Bolzano) – Schumacher Atom CC
Overall standings (Top 10) after 1 of 7 rounds (best 5 scores count):
- Mattia Dall’Oca (Team Schumacher) – 150 points
- Alessandro Rampini (Treerremodellismo) – 149 points
- Alessandro Giubbilei (Jokerteam Bolzano) – 148 points
- Roberto Rampini (Treerremodellismo) – 147 points
- Claudio Giovanelli (Jokerteam Bolzano) – 146 points
- Johnny Orsolin (Jokerteam Bolzano) – 145 points
- Lorenzo Crepaldi (Jokerteam Bolzano) – 144 points
- Riccardo Arcolini (Rivoli Racing) – 143 points
- Fabrizio Dall’Oca (Jokerteam Bolzano) – 142 points
- Andrea Sartori (Rivoli Racing) – 141 points