Swifts Raceway ‘Autumn Shoot Out’ Round 2



Race Report By Swifts Raceway
On Sunday
, Round 2 of the Autumn Shoot Out was held at Swifts Raceway where the attendance had shot up after the successful first round. There was also the addition of a new class. With the first round of the LMP Nationals coming up, we offered some of our club members the chance to get some LMP practice in on a championship style event. Once again the track had been setup the night before and racers were welcomed to a little more technical track than round 1. Like the first round, the atmosphere in the pits was on a high but with a few more secret rivalries hiding in the shadows.


For the LMP final the battle for the win couldn’t have been any closer. Murray and Wood were in a league of their own. Wood took the early lead after a bad start for Murray dropped him to third. But by the halfway stage Murray was challenging for the lead and briefly held it until a mistake let Wood back past. The pair continued to battle on until the end with Wood taking the win by just 0.10 of a second.


The formula 1 class produced another great final with dramas for both the pole sitter Wright and current series leader Rob Hall. Both racers were involved in opening lap incidents which forced them to retire from the race. It was Baggley who capitalised and pushed on to open up a strong lead. Mark Christopher made a late charge for the win but Baggley’s lead was just too much to break.


The World GT10 saw yet again another head to head battle, this time it was between Underwood and Hill. Hill got a great start but Underwood was straight on the hunt. The lead changed hands on lap 8 when Hill encountered problems. Underwood’s lead would only last a few laps however as he suffered grip roll. The pair charged onto the finish with less than a second between them. Hill just holding on for the victory.


For the GT12 final lived up to all the promise with its impressive line up of racers. It was like watching a giant game of snake for the first half of the race with no room for the slightest of errors. Up front, Murray headed the pack but was closely followed by Jewitt. Behind them was an intense battle between old rivals Mawson and Hart. On lap 15 Murray hit a crashing back maker which gave Jewitt the fraction of a second he needed to take the lead. The pair became locked in a heated battle which lasted all the way to the flag and see Jewitt take the honours. Mark was so fast on the day that we couldn’t even get a picture of him, luckily the Stig was available to stand in for him.

The day was another success with everyone appearing to have a great time regardless of their final results. The change of venue and addition of the LMP class seemed to increase the status even more of this new championship. Thanks go out to the Swifts Team for the fantastic venue and facilities, the people who helped pack the track away and of course the racers who provided all the great entertainment. See you all in 3 weeks for Round 3 at C.A.R.S.