Our friend Mark Stiles reports – Sunday 28th October saw the 4th and final round of the 2012 Action Model Centre supported Summer Shootout Series take place In Chesterfield, UK. With a capacity entry of drivers racing in 1/12th scale, GT10 and GT12 classes and a technical track layout the meeting promised to be competitive and enjoyable for all.
In the 1/12th scale open modified class, David Spashett continued his recent run of form by dominating qualifying to take TQ ahead of the CRC pairing of Mick Farrell and Mark Stiles. Mick had to leave early and was unable to race in the A final, but Mark took the challenge to David after a setup change allowed him to match the lap times being set by the former World Champion. David and Mark were within 1 second of each other for the first 6 minutes of the race, but David did a better job of conserving his tyres and would eventually win the race by 4 seconds after mark faded in the closing stages with a loss of rear end grip. Luke Burley finished 3rd with his DoRi5.2 chassis but was more than 2 ½ laps behind the leaders.
Open Modified A Final:
- David Spashett (tq) TLR/Dynamite 38/ 483.490 12.723 12.300
- Mark Stiles CRC/LRP/Reedy 38/ 487.770 12.836 12.340
- Luke Burley DoRi5 36/ 493.110 13.697 12.900
- Andy Murray Alien Racing 35/ 489.400 13.982 12.720
- Matt Rice DoRi5/HPI 35/ 491.800 14.051 12.880
- Mark Jordan V-Dezign/RC Dynamics 34/ 482.030 14.177 13.090
- Jason Butterfield DoRi5 33/ 480.010 14.545 13.030
- Chris Hudson Corally 32/ 482.760 15.086 13.840
- Mick Farrell CRC/HPI DNS
- Joe Hawnt Serpent/Orion DNS
Daniel Holmes walked away with the 10.5 blinky 1/12th scale class with his V-Dezign Carpet Ripper 5,
10.5 Blinky A Final Podium:
- Daniel Holmes (tq) V-Dezign 36/ 493.910 13.719 13.070
- David Gale Associated 34/ 480.570 14.134 13.570
- Adrian Thorpe Corally 34/ 483.000 14.205 13.390
Corally’s Andy Sawyer won the 17.5 blinky class despite early pressure from Gavin Clinch, running a Serpent. Kevin Creaser was running second for most of the race until a collision with a hard charging Gavin forced him into premature retirement.
17.5 Blinky A Final Podium:
- Andrew Sawyer (tq) Corally/LRP 32/ 480.730 15.022 14.450
- Gavin Clinch Serpent 32/ 493.540 15.423 14.500
- Martin Bollenbacher 31/ 485.450 15.659 14.500
In the GT10 class, Peter Craig took TQ and the A final win, fending off Mark Simpson who was just 2 seconds behind at the end of the A final. These two managed to lap the entire field.
GT10 A Final Podium:
- Peter Craig (tq) 25/ 360.570 14.422 13.750
- Mark Simpson 25/ 362.470 14.498 13.860
- Chris Blakey 24/ 363.140 15.130 14.050
Adam Catchpole was dominant in GT12. TQ and the A final win continued his impressive winning streak in this now very popular class. He was half a lap ahead of Chris Ashton and David Gale, both running Schumacher cars.
GT12 A Final Podium:
- Adam Catchpole (tq) Mardave 20/ 316.560 15.828 15.300
- Chris Ashton Schumacher 19/ 307.590 16.188 15.220
- David Gale Schumacher 19/ 309.180 16.272 15.600
The Shootout will be back next summer (visit www.carsrcracing.co.uk for info), but now the focus turns towards the BRCA 1/12th scale national series, round 2 of which is at Chesterfield on the 17th/18th November. You can follow the BRCA nationals on Facebook or join the discussion on www.rcracechat.com.
Additional YouTube videos can be found here.